Here is a short video showing the furnace lid refractory (Mizzou) being rammed.
I was using my left hand to ram, so I could film with my right hand, so if it looks like I am not doing well with the ramming, that would be correct since I am right handed.
The intent of this video is to show the consistency of the refractory.
The burner is started by dropping a lit paper towel into the furnace and turning on the oil (diesel) and compressed air ball valves at the same time.
The combustion air blower is then turned on.
This entire test was run at 3 gal/hr fuel flow, and the only adjustment that was made was to vary the combustion air flow.
The combustion air was varied to get a very lean operation (and a flame-out due to the mixture being too lean), a neutral mixture, a rich mixture, and a very rich mixture (lots of blue and yellow flames).
The hottest operation seemed to be with a rich mixture and a blue flame above the furnace lid.
The last part of the test shows the burner oil and compressed air being turned off, and then hot-restarted.
This is a test of the Delavan siphon-nozzle burner without an o-ring.
The burner is started with compressed air and diesel only, and then a small amount of combustion air was introduced, which caused the burner to blow itself out.
Normally the burner is operating in the furnace when combustion air is added, and thus does not blow itself out if the correct amount of combustion air is added.
Fuel Type: Diesel
Fuel Flow Rate: 3 gal/hr
Note: Its best to wear a full face shield when working with oil burners.
This is my first test of my new lower-mass furnace designed for iron melts.
I edited out much of the video, since it progresses slowly over 1 hour total melt time.
The video card filled up 10 minutes before pour time so I missed the pour, but will get it next time.
The furnace was definitely running very hot.
The iron was very hot after 1 hour, and poured easily.
I made two ingots; one thick and one thin.
This is a video of a large induction motor, one of four, that were removed from a local flood control pump station, sent of for rebuilding, and then re-installed.
The motors are wound-rotor induction motors, with large slip rings to send power to the rotor field.
The motors were build in about 1916 by Allis-Chalmers, and are 750 hp each, 116 rpm, 6,250 volts, 3-phase, 83 amps on the stator coils.
Total weight of each motor is about 40,000 lbs.
These motors power four 72" centrifugal pumps that have a capacity of 300 cu-ft of water per second.
All four motors were successfully rebuilt using the latest vacuum-pressure-epoxy system, and re-installed, and will be working well for many years.
I added some still photos at the end of the two videos that show the removal and re-installation process.
This is my dad riding the "Roper" replica steam bicycle that he built (one of two that he made).
It uses charcoal to fire the boiler.
The single-cylinder steam engine is mounted on the frame by the rear wheel in a horizontal position.
The original inventor of this bike was Sylvester Roper, and he built the bike that this one is based upon in about 1884.
My dad also built the Locomobile replica that can be seen in the video, and it is powered by a vertical two-cylinder steam engine.
This is an iron pour by "porositymaster" at the Soule steam museum.
The burner is a Ursutz oil burner design, made in stainless steel.
This is the only Ursutz burner I have ever seen that actually worked with melting cast iron, and it works very well.
I think the entire furnace is stainless steel.
This was a pour of some Naval Brass that use to be an old boat shaft.
The melt went ok, but the cement on the mold failed, causing the cope to separate from the drag.
The metal remained in the lower mold half (the drag), but drained out of the upper mold half (the cope), and so I got half a set of steam engine cylinders.
I was wearing a powered respirator to avoid the zink fumes.
Here is the pouring shank crucible retainer that I use.
I used this after I dropped a full #10 crucible of very hot iron out of the pouring shank (my first retainer did not work; this one works well with crucibles that vary slightly in size and shape).
The heat shield needs to be slightly taller, but it works ok since my handle projects downwards.
This is a video of an old twin cylinder oscillating workshop-style steam engine, probably from the late 1800's or early 1900's.
This engine was purchased from Preston Services in Great Britain.
Here is the link to the original advertisement: http://prestonservices.co.uk/item/oscillating-twin-cylinder-horizontal-workshop-engine/
The engine has a 10" diameter flywheel, and is made of cast iron.
It will run forwards or backwards (using an external reversing valve, not shown), and has no dead-centers, ie: it will self-start in any position.
Power is transmitted via a leather belt that exits a hole in the right side of the base casting.
The engine would have been used to power small shop tools, such as a lathe, grinder, drill press, shaper, or even a sewing machine.
Here is an iron pour that was held at the Soule Steam Works Museum.
Soule is the factory and foundry where steam engines such as the "Speedy Twin" were made, and much of the original equipment and castings have been retained and are on display, as well as a number of steam engines that are operating on steam.
This was a test of an Ursutz oil burner.
I have seen a smaller version of this burner work very well, but I could not get this burner tuned correctly.
This burner also has a problem with degradation over a short period of time of the steel due to the fact that the burner shell operates in a red-hot condition.
Created 2 months, 1 week ago.
|Category||Science & Technology|
foundry metal casting oil burners iron melting