Sinus surgery slowed me down in January, but here is a quick look of the difference a year made for our property. Plus some bonus footage of me trying my hand at a drone. If you are curious you can see more details about some of the projects we did this year on my website:
This is the title track from my EP Test In Progress. With this EP I'm taking a different approach. This song was written in music software without instruments. Once I was done with the song, I learned the melody and rhythms on the guitar, then recorded them. I then put extras in around that theme and this is the result. It isn't the best song ever, but I learned a ton taking this approach.
For work, I wanted a riser for my monitors that would span the length of my keyboard so I could tuck it away. I'm at a spot with my woodworking that I wanted to attempt making a project without fasteners so it worked out perfectly. I used pine boards from the big box store and leftover cedar from a deck project for the legs.
Overall it turned out great, but I still have a ton to learn. I'm trying to check off skills for my projects so for this one I had the following:
Mortise and Tenon
I used the following tools:
Random Orbit Sander
If you liked the music, that would be my other hobby and you can find that song here: https://sonicthoughtexperiment.bandcamp.com/releases
I've changed my studio/office space a few times in the last couple of years and haven't been happy with trying to get my acoustic panels hung. I used T pins last time and while better than glue, it still left numerous small holes in the wall. I had some extra wood yardsticks and hit upon using that with spray adhesive, with the final piece being using 3M Command hook backers. This way all I have to do to move them next time is pull the release and viola! No holes or mess! Someone might have run across this before, but I've been trying to figure this out for quite a while, so maybe it will help you too.
We had some extra pegboard taking up space in the garage, so my wife wanted to use that to hold some of the tools she uses for scrap-booking. She painted it with some leftover paint from a room and I framed it with some pine (the only thing I had to buy) and painted it black. I used lap joints and cut a groove using my router to give it a good fit. A french cleat on the back secures it to the wall.
This build reminded me to take a closer look at what isn't being used and keep an open mind to see if it could find a place for some other purpose.
- First piece is something I wrote
- Others are copyright free from YouTube
You can find links to all my social media and my blog at http://emptylaboratories.com.
Sometimes my inner voice gets a little vocal. For this #woodworking build I tackle working with hardwood for the first time (#walnut and maple) as well as creating through mortise and tenons. This documents the process and is my take on some of the struggles of trying to carve out time for creating.
Shout out to #RandomFrankP for the idea of stacking the monitors (I'm sure there are lots more people who have done it, but that is where I first got the idea) and how useful that is for getting space on the #home-studio desk. This is just the first piece of building out a creative space for me to record music and designing pieces, so stay tuned for more of that process.
I used the following tools:
Random Orbit Sander
We moved and part of that move included a bigger shop. It needs work, but I’ll go through what it looks like now along with my ideas of how to make it usable now. Hopefully, you can get some ideas for your workspace as well as my thoughts on how to make it my dream shop.
I’m starting to get more serious about building a workshop and from what I have seen, a table saw is central. However, when your workshop is also a garage, being able to move that saw around is key. In this video I document how I built a mobile base for my saw that used common materials and a simple design to get me started on a usable and expandable base for my workspace centerpiece.
I’m definitely an amatuer so I am sure I’m not doing things as well or efficient as possible, but I found I have to do to learn and improve. So hopefully this shows that even if you are just starting out too, just create. That goes for the video too!
Legs: 2x4 lumber from the big box store
Base: ¾ plywood from the big box store
Fasteners: 3 ½ SPAX screws from the big box store
Music: I used a short track I wrote and recorded.
Publishing from my back catalog:
This is a description of how I built my own DIY desk top rack system in the vein of the Argosy Halo model. I said Odyssey in the video. This is made from lumber and parts that can be found at your local hardware or home improvement store.
This was my first time using Sketchup so hopefully it isn't too bad.
- 8’ 1x4 around $10 - Home Depot
- rack rails around $13 for set of 8U - Amazon
- ¾ plywood around $20 - Home Depot. I was able to get 4 panels from my chunk of plywood.
- 4 bolts + t-nuts around $6 - Ace Hardware
- 2" PVC pipe connectors
- 4 rubber feet
Created 6 months, 2 weeks ago.
Category DIY & Gardening
This channel is my platform for documenting my journey toward self-sufficiency and as a maker. That will include woodworking, building up my 5 acres of property, and maybe some writing/recording of original music. I'll be doing videos for things like building property infrastructure, food systems, and making your workspace enjoyable. I'm hoping my attempts at these things can help others learn from what I do, whether by my successes or my failures.