Just harvesting at this point, not trying to keep weeds down anymore. One plot, the one with the winter squash, got completely out of hand, but the other two have done well. Picking loads of green beans right now, along with beets, Swiss chard, carrots, dry beans, broccoli, and zinnias.
So you want to "upload" your files to the IPFS network to save them for all eternity. But how do you get your peers to download and keep them, so they don't just sit lonely on your single node? I talk about one possibility that probably isn't useful, but might be a good thought experiment toward more practical methods. The exchange of value in a peer-to-peer relationship -- or a web of such relationships -- isn't nearly as straightforward as the customer-merchant relationship we're used to, so it deserves some exploration.
Someday soon I'm going to start an episode review series on Farscape, the best TV show ever made. It starts out with a guy going into orbit to do nerdy science stuff, and 88 episodes later we're getting scenes like this one. It's a show made of puppets and leather and bodily fluids that turns into an exploration of the human mind and the nature of reality (and unreality). But now I'm getting into it, so I'll save the rest for the reviews. Just have to get the DVDs first.
Most applications on the Internet today function on a centralized, client-server model. I talk about why that's fragile and doesn't fit the original "route around failure" model of the Internet, and explain the peer-to-peer model that will replace it, using IPFS as one example that's in development.
The image with this video is a double rainbow we had last night after a surprise quick rain shower. My phone camera doesn't really do it justice.
Now that the drought is over, everything's growing like crazy, including the weeds. I hope this will serve as a "before picture," so my next video can show the garden with most or all of these weeds removed. Currently harvesting snap beans, Swiss chard, potatoes, squash, cucumbers, kale (have to figure out how to use it), mustard, and broccoli within the week.
I go through the 6502 assembly language instruction set, explaining them and giving examples of most of them using the Commodore 128 monitor.
This video is part of my series on 6502 assembly language programming. Assembly language requires an understanding of binary and how to set, clear, and check individual bits in values.
Still watering quite a bit, though there was one small rain a week ago. Harvesting snap beans, Swiss chard, and a few potatoes. There will be scalloped summer squash and cucumbers along very soon. Got most of the late garden planted, with turnips, radishes, beets, carrots, and a few other things.
The fourth and final video in the series. I add the ability to ask for a number of games on the command line, do some final cleanup of the code and testing, and push it all to my gitlab repository at https://gitlab.com/aaron-baugher/tttbot .
I intend to do more programming videos, so if you have suggestions or questions, please leave comments below. I may try some live streaming so it would be possible to interact in more of a classroom manner, if these generate any interest in that.
We got a half-inch or so of rain last week, but still need more. Things were curling up again within a few days. Currently harvesting sweet corn and Swiss chard, hoping the snap beans kick in soon. So far, thanks to the heat, there's nothing that will win any ribbons at the fair, but it's still a couple weeks away.
I tried something different with this one, taking photos and doing a slideshow with voiceover, instead of live video. My cheap phone doesn't handle high sun very well, and that's all there's been lately. It takes better photos, so I thought this would be worth a try.
The one where I discover there's more strategy to taking a turn in tic-tac-toe than I realized. Got the logic worked out so the players are smart enough to tie every game. Part 4 will involve testing, adding some convenience features, and tightening up the code.
In this part, I write most of the logic of the program, getting it to where it can play and report on a single game, using very stupid AI to choose moves when there isn't a winning or blocking move available. There will be at least one more part coming, making the AI (a little) smarter, cleaning up the code, and testing and debugging.
In this first video of a series, I describe my development setup and go through starting a new C programming project, creating the first basic files, starting a git repository, pushing the repository to GitLab, creating a basic Makefile, and using Magit within Emacs for version control. Actual coding will come in part 2.
Also a minor rooster update. Most of the weeds are gone from the garden now; and the one benefit of hot, dry weather is that new weeds have trouble getting started. I've been picking some peas, and should have some green, yellow, and purple snap beans in a week or so. Really hoping for rain in the next few days; we've had too many days where a forecast of "mostly cloudy and a 40% chance of storms" turned into blue skies and 90+ degrees. I lost some transplants because I was expecting cloud cover and they got baked instead, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Sorry about the video quality on these. It seems like lately I've either got too much light or too little, or a lot of wind noise. A cheap phone isn't really a professional video camera, I'm afraid.
Anyway, the garden is coming along, and I'm almost caught up on the weeds. Been eating a lot of asparagus and lettuce, and should be picking peas soon.
Created 1 year, 1 month ago.
Videos from my garden and related topics, showing the progress throughout the year.