Another tools for jewels episode, over the last couple of days I have made several more bespoke sanding sticks on the same lines as the earlier video which I called "The sanding square", let me show you their features.
Another version of my home made ring holder, this time with a double post and a tapered cam that is powered by the engravers block itself, it is about the most simple setup, no need for threaded vice blocks etc, plain and simple tapered and expandable ring mandrel.
As I begin working out how to equip myself on a budget one soons learns how things work and potential pitfalls as they materialiise, here is what I have been doing over the last few days since my previous video.
There is new ideas and items to come in this subject which I am currently working on, plus a new vice kit for holding many different shapes, all on a budget for those who cannot afford the pro kit.
This is how I shape and work metals using my homemade woodturning lathe, with a little injenuity and a few old world skills it can be nearly as quick to turn some kinds of metals as fast as a dedicated metalwork lathe, especially brass, the wood lathe also gives you complete freedom of expression when turning and shaping compound and or complicated curves.
Part two of my homemede prototype hand engraver system, at last I have something working, or a working prototype with which to take my project towards completion, I made a couple of major changes and she now cuts nicely, albeit a tad slow but will be good for the smaller projects I have in the pipeline.
A foot operated jewellers saw I designed several years ago, foot operated it free's up both hands during cutting, a shaft is attached to a foot pedal on the floor, still in the making but planning to start making.
Over the last few weeks we have been experimenting using different sized coils, we also changed out the smaller diameter 3/16" copper coil for a slightly larger diameter of 1.4" which gives much better cooling.
We are now running at optimum level using a 1/4" coil with six full turns and the results are 50% better/faster than before where you can melt one to two ounce of silver in around five minutes quite comfortably. We also routed the coil leads away from the main board in case of water leaks using flexi neoprene junctions.
All that is needed now is to mount everything on a decent frame and we are up and running, thanks again for looking in, please subscribe and consider supporting the channel so we can bring you lots of new innovations in the future.
In this video I show how i make my own sanding stick that holds the abrasive media without any rubber bands or sticky tape, when the paper is worn out use the blank to make your next one by drawing around it to get the correct amount of taper.
After burning my fingers for the umpteenth time I decided to make this handy tool, made from Pink Ivorywood, the wood of the Zulu Kings staff of old, it has several different size holes and a central groove to hold any ring firmly, the hinge is made from German Silver and the axle from an old saw handle bolt, no more charred fingers.
This is a tool that I desired for some time so I decided to put my hand turning skills to the test, but this time on metal instead of wood, the head is a section of 1" hex brass which was hand turned in the woodwork lathe and the inserts are metal and PTFE, the handle is turned in house from Pink Ivory Wood to a shape I saw once in an old Victorian tool catalogue which is suprisingly comfortable in the hand.
The handle is secured via a single Ebony wedge that passes slightly above and past the head of the hammer as in the original, this is the best way I have found of securing the handle to the head, especially on smaller diameters holes, where as a flush fitting wedge tends to come loose after much use.
The sanding square was a popular device during the Victorian period for the silversmith, she consisted of a square billet of timber which is then cut with a slight taper and then turned for the handle, a tricky job and the result is a highly punctional sanding stick that does not need the aid of masking tape to secure the abrasive being used.
Brand new, is my version of a flexi drive system, the motor is a replacement for a Dyson hoover and the flexi shaft an after market remake of the famous foredom system, but at a snip of the price of the original; The quality is actually excellent for the price.
The mount is made from Birch plywood which is excellent platform for this kind of mount and free from the scrap cut off pile. It really is a simple layout with a main platform for the motor and a spaced rail to hold the outer cable and to stop it spinning.
Another jewellers bench tool I made in house in the form of a bracelet press, this is used to form a convexed shape to items of jewellery or craftwork, she consists of two sections of aluminium plate and a handle which pivots inside another guide to act as a press, the lower stands or formers are made from small pieces of scrap wood and can be turned in a couple of minuites to the desired shape, total cost was £12.50 and two hours of my own dint.
Made from an old Tefal pressure cooker with custom made injection valve made from stock materials, the bottom of chamber has a small socket seperate from the inner chamber to mount the temp sender to the digital gauge, there are two schrader car wheel valves inserted into the lid where the original valves were extant, to use it you manually pump up the cyclinder with a bycycle pump.
She is warmed up on the gas stove to working temp, 10 PSI lasts about five to six injections before you need a couple more top up pumps, the whole unit is very easy to use and cost around 20 pounds to make, cooking pot came for free but you can pick these up for about ten to twenty pounds second hand.