The wind was variable, but we had a gust here and there. The VAWT was able to turn but did not perform as hoped. I think the pivot point was to far from the center of pressure, it wasn't balanced carefully, and one pivot seemed to hang up. So I suppose I'll have to make another only put a little more care into the construction.
Details from the construction of a small Sharp style vertical axis wind turbine. There is a little video of it trying to spin, but the wind was so light and variable it really didn't get going. I was happy it turned at all considering the size of the wings compared to the diameter.
A brief look at a small Savonius vertical axis wind turbine made from Coroplast material and attached to a generator described in previous videos. No data is presented as we had no wind to speak of for over a week and I wanted to move on to another turbine idea.
I tried making a wind turbine to go with a small DC motor. My 3D printer is small so I'm limited to parts that are about 4" in diameter. A Savonius rotor of that size was not enough to overcome the drag from the motor. So I tried making an experimental VAWT. The connection between that VAWT and the motor was too weak, but when placed on a simple dowel axle, it would spin well in a good breeze.
The 0.35 m^2 vertical axis wind turbine was placed on top of a pole in a windier location for life testing to see how it holds up in the weather. There is no battery attached to it; just the lighting circuit. I was installed in early May, 2013.
Repurposing the controller board for a lighting application. The 0.35 m^2 vertical axis wind turbine is being prepped for a life test. And rather than charge a battery, the power will be used immediately by a light bulb.
A test to see if the overspeed protection part of the controller can stop the 0.35 m^2 vertical axis wind turbine. The wind was not quite strong enough to test the trigger for the SCR, so it was triggered manually.
An early load controller for the 0.35 m^2 vertical axis wind turbine. This one measures the input voltage, estimates the current that should be coming from the turbine for optimal power, and adjusts current to the buck controller feedback circuit to either call for more or less current. This is not maximum power point tracking; in controls parlance, it is a feedforward approach.
A load controller is needed for the 0.35 m^2 vertical axis wind turbine. The device is intended to make sure the load on the turbine matches to some extent the power available to prevent the turbine from rotating too slowly and going out of lift mode. This is an experimental current controller to take a PWM signal and control the current going to a battery.
This project is a more systematic attempt to make a decent small vertical axis wind turbine. The "035" refers to the frontal area of the turbine being 0.35 m^2. This video is an overview of the design.
After deciding that lift VAWTs are nice because they spin fast. And four blades results in weak wings while two blades have a harder time starting and have vibration issues. I decided to give the more conventional three blade design another go to get better performance than my earlier attempts. I was quite happy with this design.
A quick test of the small VAWT designed for the five Watts for twenty-five dollars challenge. The project was dropped as magnet prices skyrocketed to about three times the price they were at the start of the project.