Using Independent Thinking Without Surrendering Your Sense of Reason
Most thoughtful people have questions like: what is the nature of reality? Why is there evil? Unfortunately, many of these people believe you have to have “blind faith” or trust some weird mystical approach in order to explore these questions from a religious perspective. My guest this week is Arthur Yavelberg, author of the book A Theology For The Rest Of Us and he offers a different view on these questions. In Arthur’s book and this conversation, he shows that is not the case; that religious responses to spiritual questions can be quite rational and even empowering.
Arthur has said he has thought about these issues for many years and he has come to realize that there are many religious traditions that can offer guidance in ways that do not require people to surrender their sense of reason. His motivation was to share this process so that people can use it to come to their own conclusions. A Theology For The Rest Of Us challenges people to be independent: to explore the various teachings but not necessarily to commit to any one of them.
In this episode, Arthur shares his journey of studying religion and spirituality and we touch on a wide range of subjects from free will, to the difference between beliefs in the East & West, how to be independent in your thinking without having to commit to just “one way” of doing things.
I absolutely loved Arthrur’s book and as I mentioned in this episode, it helped me understand where I could go next spiritually after being turned off by religion for so many years.
This interview is not telling you what to believe, in fact it is quite the opposite. It is a discussion on how to look at things like spirituality, religion, divine intelligence in a different light so you can take what works for you and leave the rest. This is a very thought provoking and honest discussion on some big topics, don’t miss it!
More about the book, A Theology For The Rest of Us: If God exists and is good, why is there evil? Avoiding such questions underlies the spiritual emptiness and anxiety in today's world. A Theology for the Rest of Us explores how to approach the divine through Eastern and Western religious traditions without dogma, challenging readers to "be you lamps unto yourselves."
In a time of internecine wars and all kinds of abuse of authority and trust, too many good, thoughtful people are "voting with their feet" and turning away from organized religion. Popular "spirituality"-a sort of mysticism-lite articulated in memes-is often unsatisfying as well.
A Theology For The Rest Of Us is a straightforward approach to the fundamental questions of religion and philosophy: Does God exist? Is there free will? What is 'evil'? And many more questions many seekers ask.This book draws on the traditions of the East as well as the West-Taoism, Buddhism and Hinduism in addition to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam-to see what can make sense in today's world. Whether exploring the implications of 17th century Enlightenment philosophers, quantum physics, or the insights of writers such as Dostoyevsky and Alan Watts, the reader is offered a rational, coherent approach that can provide understanding and a basis for hope in a world where the spirit has been all but decimated by doubt and worse.
If you liked this episode, here are some ways to support my work:
Get your free copy of My Personal Awakening Map to start creating the reality YOU desire! https://sloanefreemont.podia.com/your-personal-awakening-map
1. Help me keep the podcast going by donating: https://cointr.ee/sloanefreemont
2. Invest in yourself with my Create What You Speak Academy: http://createwhatyouspeak.com
3. Sign up for my newsletter: https://sloanefreemont.com/1502-2/
4. Join my Telegram Channel: https://t.me/createwhatyouspeak
5. Leave a positive review for the show in your favorite podcast player: http://getpodcast.reviews/id/1369388267
6. Follow the podcast on your favorite podcast player: https://cointr.ee/sloanefreemont
7. Comment on this episode and let me know what you liked and what you learned
8. Share https://cointr.ee/sloanefreemont with your friends and on social media so others can listen to the show
9. Read and share articles I've published: https://www.publish0x.com/create-what-you-speak?a=jnegL2n3aw&tid=sloanefreemont.com
10. Connect on Substack: https://createwhatyouspeak.substack.com/
11. Connect on Minds: https://www.minds.com/register?referrer=sloanefreemont
12. Connect on Flote: https://flote.app/user/Sloanefreemont
13. Connect on Odysee: https://odysee.com/$/invite/@sloanefreemont:5
14. Connect on Bitchute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/sloanefreemont/
15. Connect on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-356765
16. Contact me with any questions, suggestions or comments: [email protected]
Music by https://www.fiftysounds.com Track: New York
|Sensitivity||Normal - Content that is suitable for ages 16 and over|
2 months, 3 weeks ago
3 months, 1 week ago
3 months, 2 weeks ago
3 months, 3 weeks ago
Warning - This video exceeds your sensitivity preference!
To dismiss this warning and continue to watch the video please click on the button below.
Note - Autoplay has been disabled for this video.
This advertisement has been selected by the videos creator, Sloane Freemont.
This advertisement has been selected by the BitChute platform.
By purchasing and/or using the linked product you are helping to cover the costs of running BitChute.
It is free for anyone to opt-out of receiving advertising via the Interface tab on the Settings page.
To help support BitChute or find out more about our creator monetization policy: