Deck Project Start To Finish
Last summer we decided to remove the rail at one end of the deck and build some stairs. After watching several videos on how to, we gave it a try. They came out great but we discovered a lot of rot when we removed the rail and new we had to address it soon.
We started by cutting a pair of 2 x 10's to length for each section of rail to be built. We then went to Blocklayer.com and printed of a measurement chart for baluster spacing. Then all we had to do for each section was measure and mark the placement for each baluster. Next we secured two balusters to help keep the structure square. This was followed up with the installation of the remaining balusters.
Once all five sections were completed it was time to move on to staining them. Having them suspended on the horses made it quick and easy. Once completed and dried we moved them to the deck for installation.
Installation wouldn't start for a while. First we had to remove the old rails. You can see how rotten they were in these pictures. The support posts also had some rotting which required repairs. After using a wire brush to clean all the rotted areas we started by spraying them with PC-Petrifier. This product makes the wood harder than the surround wood. Next we mixed a two part epoxy called PC-Woody and filled all the areas that need repair.
Once finished and cured we primed all the support posts. The following day we painted. Then we installed the rails. We also wanted a handrail all the way around, so we measured, cut, stained, and installed them.
Here is the finished project.
|Sensitivity||Normal - Content that is suitable for ages 13+|