Chernobyl - Meltdown of an Empire (Myth20c - Ep154)
Situated on the northern reaches of Ukraine in what was once the heart of the western Soviet empire, the Chernobyl nuclear exclusion zone now consists of nearly 3,000 square kilometers of pristine forest that is eerily devoid of any sizable human population. At the heart of this atomic wasteland sits the now defunct and still highly radioactive husk of what was once the largest nuclear power plant in Ukraine. The core meltdown that occurred in the middle of the night in April 1986 spewed radioactive dust and steam several kilometers into the air, sending a cloud over all of central and northern Europe, tripping alarms at power stations as far away as Sweden. Before the dust had even settled, over 500,000 workers had to be dispatched in an attempt to seal the burning reactor from further contaminating the surroundings. Not only did this place an enormous physical and financial burden on the Soviet Union, but also a psychological one, in many ways bringing about the end of the USSR and casting a grave shadow of doubt over the nuclear energy industry throughout the world.
-- Brought to you by --
Very special guest Titus Flavius
with Adam Smith, Hans Lander and Nick Mason
New: Hard Copies of Exit Strategy now Available! http://www.lulu.com/shop/adam-smith/exit-strategy/paperback/product-24191334.html
~~-- Donations: https://www.patreon.com/MYTH20 --~~
- [email protected]
-- References --
- Odds of Meltdown ‘One in 10,000 Years,’ Soviet Official Says, Associated Press (1986) - https://apnews.com/ce2dbd47080ff1cc91d5ba851bd03942
- Zero Hour: Disaster at Chernobyl, Discovery Channel (2004) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITEXGdht3y8
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, GSC Game World (2007)
- Nuclear Explosion Can Heal the Bleeding Wound in the Gulf of Mexico, Sudakov (2010) - https://www.pravdareport.com/world/113370-oil_leak/
- Dark, Odar and Friese (2017)
- Chernobyl, Mazin (2019)
- Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World’s Greatest Nuclear Disaster, Higginbotham (2019)
- The Chernobyl Disaster May Have Also Built a Paradise, Rogers (2019) - https://www.wired.com/story/the-chernobyl-disaster-might-have-also-built-a-paradise/
- India–United States Civil Nuclear Agreement - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India%E2%80%93United_States_Civil_Nuclear_Agreement
- The Chernobyl Gallery - http://www.chernobylgallery.com/chernobyl-disaster/timeline/
|Category||News & Politics|
|Sensitivity||Normal - Content that is suitable for ages 16 and over|
1 month, 3 weeks ago
Warning - This video exceeds your sensitivity preference!
To dismiss this warning and continue to watch the video please click on the button below.
Note - Autoplay has been disabled for this video.
This advertisement has been selected by the BitChute platform.
By purchasing and/or using the linked product you are helping to cover the costs of running BitChute. Without the support of the community this platform will cease to exist.
Registered users can opt-out of receiving advertising via the Interface tab on their Settings page.
To help support BitChute or find out more about our creator monetization policy: