The McDonald’s cashier who was taped hitting two women with a metal pole has been cleared of all charges.
Rayon McIntosh, 31, had been accused of brutally attacking the women at the 24-hour restaurant in Greenwich Village, New York, after they shouted obscenities at him, slapped him and then jumped over the counter.
A grand jury heard testimony for 11 days and voted to clear McIntosh.
'Hallelujah!' was heard in the courtroom after assistant District Attorney Jaime Hickey-Mendoza said: 'We ask that Mr McIntosh be released.'
McIntosh, who served about a decade on a manslaughter charge, was getting his life back on track when the two women threatened him in McDonald's.
His mother, Maureen Lucas, told the New York Daily News: 'If he didn’t have that record, they would never have arrested him.'
Stepsister Jacara McIntosh added that he had an 11-year-old daughter and took a fast-food job in an effort to get his life back on track.
She said: 'No 31-year-old wants to work at McDonald’s making $7.25 an hour but he did it.'
The case stemmed from an incident at the restaurant on October 13 when Denise Darbeau and Rachel Edwards, both 24, wanted to pay their check with a $50 bill.
When he checked to see if the bill was genuine they allegedly became angry.
Eventually they jumped over ther counter.
Video surveillance footage showed McIntosh grabbing a metal bar and hitting the women.
The attackn was also captured on cell phone video.
He was facing assault and weapons charges. The women are facing charges of criminal trespassing, menacing and disorderly conduct.
A grand jury has yet to vote on their case.
One of his victims required surgery after suffering a fractured skull and a broken arm and the other suffered cuts.
A McDonald's spokesman said at the time of the attack: 'The violence in this video is alarming and reprehensible.
'The franchisee of this restaurant has told us that the individual involved no longer works for her organization.