First published at 03:06 UTC on March 5th, 2020.
- GREECE CLOSES BORDERS, DEPLOYS ARMY, HELICOPTERS, AND NAVAL WARSHIPS TO DEFEND EUROPE FROM FOREIGN INVADERS SENT BY TURKISH REGIME
- Following the military escalation between the Russian-backed Syrian army and the Turkish regime, combined with announcements from Turkey that it would be making good on previous threats to flood Europe with migrants, Greece has completely sealed off its border with Turkey.
- THE GREEK GOVERNMENT HAS DEPLOYED FIFTY NAVY WARSHIPS TO PROTECT THE GREEK ISLANDS AND TEN HELICOPTERS TO GUARD LAND BORDERS AGAINST FOREIGN INVADERS SENT BY THE ERDOGAN REGIME, GERMAN DAILY TABLOID BILD REPORTS. THE ARMY HAS BEEN CALLED TO THE NORTHERN BORDER.
- The seemingly drastic moves come after a veiled threat made by the spokesperson for Turkey’s ruling AKP party, who earlier had alluded to the fact that Turkey’s borders to Europe could be opened.
- “Our refugee policy remains the same, but here we have a situation. We can no longer keep the refugees,” he said.
- Although the Turkish government hasn’t made an official statement announcing that the border has been opened, a source told journalists from the news agency Reuters that all Turkish border guards, coast guard officers, and police had all been ordered to stand down, Voice of Europe reported.
- Turkish journalist wrote on Twitter that the Turkish border would be open for the next 72 hours to any and all migrants who would like to make their way to continental Europe.
- “Turkey said more than 100,000 people have left, but visits to both sides of the border show it’s unclear how many have crossed into Europe or got stuck in no man’s land along the frontiers with Greece and Bulgaria, and how many of them are actually from Syria. Athens said it stopped mass crossings, while the International Organization for Migration said a much smaller number than what Turkey claims has been trying to cross.”
- “Since Turkey..